Hello my dear friends and fellows!
Welcome back to my space Dish Of Delight once again.
Today I am going to share a Bengali style spinach curry. In this curry you can also use basale leaves. In that case, add 250 gm of basale leaves along with spinach. This curry could be cooked both way i.e with and without fish head. In case, you cook it without fish head, then skip the use of onion, garlic and garam masala. Rest all the procedure is same as given below.
So, lets go through the recipe for making Spinach fish head curry.
Head of about 1kg size Rohu fish 1 piece (cut into half)
Spinach 500 gm, roughly chopped
Fresh coriander leaves chopped ¼ cup
Potato 1 medium, cut into 1” size pieces
Pumpkin about 200 gm, cut into 1” size pieces
Brinjal 100 gm, cut into 1” size pieces
Onion half of 1 medium size, finely sliced
Garlic 2 cloves, crushed and minced
Green chilli 4 or 5 slit
Panchforan* 1 tsp
Turmeric powder 1 +1/2 tsp
Salt as per your taste
Sugar about ½ tsp or as per your taste
Garam masala powder ¼ tsp
Mustard oil 2 + 1 tbsp
*Panchforan is a mixture of whole spices used in various Bengali curry preparations. It is readily available is stores. You can also mix it yourself at home. Following are the whole spices that are mixed in equal proportions to make Panchforan:
- Cumin seeds
- Black cumin or kalonji
- Mustard seeds
- Fenugreek seeds
- Radhuni or Ajmoda or Wild celery seeds
- Marinate the fish head with 1 tsp of turmeric powder and ½ tsp of salt
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a kadhai at maximum flames. Once the oil is heated, reduce the flames to medium high, add the fish head pieces and fry until it turns golden brown in colour. Once fried take these out, further break these into smaller pieces and keep ready for later use
- In the same kadhai, add the remaining oil and let heat for some time. Then, add the panchforan and the slit green chillies and saute for few seconds
- Next, add the onion and stir fry until it turns golden brown in colour
- Then, add the garlic and saute until its raw smell disappears.
- Then, add all the veggies except the spinach, the remaining turmeric powder and stir and cook for 2 to 3 minutes
- Add salt and mix well. Cover and keep on cooking the veggies for another 5 minutes
- Next, add the spinach and mix well with the cooking veggies. Cover and cook at medium flames for about 12 to 15 minutes or until all the veggies are mostly cooked
- Then, open cover and add the fish head pieces and mix well with the veggies.
- Add about ¼ cup of warm water if the curry gets too dry and mix well. At this stage, add sugar and adjust salt if needed and mix well
- Cover and cook for another 2 minutes. Then, add coriander leaves and garam masala powder and mix well
- Switch off the flames and let the curry rest for a minute and then serve.
- Enjoy Spinach fish head curry with plain rice with your family and friends.