Hello my dear friends and fellows! Welcome back to my space Dish Of Delight once again!
Chhena Poda is a popular dessert of Odisha. It is basically a cake made of chhena. To make this chhena cake, baking is done for a comparatively longer period of time than baking a simple cake, until the sides of the cake turns dark brown to give a burnt look. This delicious dessert has a very simple recipe and requires just few ingredients.
This recipe for Chhena Poda was requested by my dear fellow blogger Krishna. Krishna have shared some beautiful articles on spirituality through her blog. I would suggest you to visit her space to enjoy some beautiful articles.
So, let’s quickly take a look at the recipe for making Chhena Poda.
Milk 1.5 liters
Semolina/rava/sooji 3 tbsp
Cashew nuts chopped 3 – 4 tbsp ( you can also use almonds and raisins as per your choice)
Juice of 1 and ½ lemon
Sugar as per taste
Ghee 1 tbsp + a little bit for brushing the cake tin
• Take milk in a deep vessel and bring it to a boil at medium high flames
• Once milk starts boiling, reduce the flames to low and add the lemon juice little by little with stirring
• Keep on doing this until the milk coagulated to form chhena
• Now strain out the milk solids from its liquid. Keep ½ a cup of this liquid separately for later use in this recipe before discarding the rest. Do not let the chhena cool down.
• Do not squeeze out the excess liquid from the chhena or keep it hanged to separate out excess moisture from it. In this recipe the chhena should retain some moisture into itself
• Now take the hot chhena into a mixing bowl, add sugar, semolina and roughly mix with the help of a spoon
• Add ghee and mix with the help of your hands to get an even texture of the chhena mixture without any lumps
• Add the milk separated liquid little by little and keep on mixing with your hands. Keep on mixing this liquid until the final consistency of the batter resembles to that of a cup cake batter.
• Add chopped nuts and mix well.
• Spread some salt or sand into a heavy bottomed cooking vessel and place it on medium flames. Cover and pre heat it for about 5 to 7 minutes
• Brush a little ghee on a cake tray, place a parchment paper on it and again brush a little more ghee on it
• Pour the chhena mixture into the cake tray and press lightly on its surface to get it evenly spread
• Now, once the vessel is pre heated, place a steel lid or small stand, whichever available, into the vessel
• Place the cake tray on the stand and cover the vessel. Bake it for 45 to 50 minutes at low flames or until you see the edges of the cake becomes dark brown in colour
• Move the cake tin from heat and let it cool down completely
• Transfer chhena Poda to a plate and cut it into pieces of desired shape and serve.