Cabbage 1 small shredded
Potatoes 2 or 3 medium sized cut into cubes
Green peas 3/4 th of a cup
Tomato 1 medium chopped
Green chilli 4 or 6 slit
Bay leaf 1
Whole cumin seeds 1 tsp
Cinnamon 1” piece
Cloves 4 or 5
Ginger paste 1 tbsp
Cumin powder 1 tsp
Corriander powder 1 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder 1 tsp
Salt 1 tsp or as per taste
Sugar 1/2 tsp
Ghee 1 tsp
oil 4 tbsp
- Take the shredded cabbage in a pressure cooker, add about 2 tbsp of water and 1/2 tsp of salt, put it on high flames and cook it to 1 whistle
- In a small bowl, take the ginger paste, cumin coriander, turmeric, red chilli powder and 1/2 tsp of salt and mix well along with a tbsp or so of water to make a spice mixture paste
- heat oil in a kadhai at medium flames. Once hot, temper the oil with the whole spices and add the potato cubes. Fry the potatoes till they turn golden brown
- Now add the prepared spice mixture and sauté for about 1/2 a minute or tlii the raw smell disappears.
- then add the chopped tomatoes, green chillies, green peas and stir and cook till the tomatoes soften.
- now add the half cooked cabbage and mix well with the other ingredients. Cover and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the cover, give a good stir and again cover and cook. Repeat the process till the gabbage and the potatoes get well cooked.
- finally add the sugar, ghee and garam masala powder , mix well and switch off the flames. Cover and let the curry rest for about a minute.
- Cabbage curry is ready. Serve it hot with plain rice, vegetable khichdi, roti, luchi, puri or parantha.